With Brussel Sprouts and Wild Mushrooms
Cooking dinner for your Valentine tonight? Try this Guanciale Orecchiette recipe cooked up by our head butcher Pasqual Stufano. The unique ingredients and complex flavours are sure to impress, while the cooking method is approachable for all skill levels.
- 1. Core the brussel sprouts and discard the tough outer leaves. Gently peel away the remaining leaves and cut the center in half. Set aside.
- 2. Rinse and dry mushrooms. Slice and set aside.
- 3. Chop parsley and store in fridge until needed. Cover with damp paper towel.
- 4. Dice guanciale or pancetta.
- 5. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Once boiling add 1 ½ tbsp of salt per 1lb of pasta to the water.
- 6. While the pasta water is coming to a boil add guanciale or pancetta to a cold skillet or heavy bottom pot and gently increase heat. Allow the fat to render down from the meat, essentially frying the meat in its own fat. Be careful not to burn. Once meat is browned and crispy remove from pan and set aside
- 7. Add mushrooms to the same skillet frying gently in the remaining fat from the guanciale. Once the mushrooms are browned and caramelized season lightly with salt.
- 8. Drain any excess fat from the skillet add cooked guanciale, brussel sprouts and wine if using. Let wine reduce by 2/3.
- 9. Drain pasta (Pro Tip: reserve a tbsp of pasta water and add to the guanciale/mushrooms/sprout mix)
- 10. Add pasta and parsley to the guanciale and vegetables. combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- 11.Transfer into two bowls and garnish generously with fine grated parmesan and fresh cracked black pepper.